Frequently Asked Questions

I would very much like to be a graduate student in this program! How can I do this if there is no community graduate education site in my region?
If you know of other educators at your school or in your area who might be interested in our program, the next step would be to schedule an Information Meeting at a mutually agreeable time. We found that “word of mouth” is one of our best marketing tools! If there appears to some interest, our program would be happy to schedule more Information Meetings and begin to network with other area schools. Contact Us.

How many participants are necessary to begin a new graduate education site?
We require at least 12 to 15 educators to begin any new graduate education site.

Am I able to get my initial licensure through this program?
No. This program does not provide initial teacher certification. Its purpose is to work with educators to continually improve their teaching and learning, on behalf of the students with whom they work in their own respective school communities. The majority of the educators in our program already have their teaching credentials; those who do not either are not interested or may be pursuing initial licensure through other means (Peer Review, etc.), using our program as a vehicle for some of the coursework.

How do I apply to the Field-based Graduate Program in Education?
You cannot apply to the program until you have completed our first one-credit class, the ProFile Seminar, which is the first class that is provided at each of our new graduate education sites. This class is not only one of several requirements for Admission but it is also one of 36 credits required for an M.Ed.(Master of Education degree) or 31 credits required for a CAGS (Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study). After you have completed this course, you can submit your application materials to our Vermont office.

I didn’t realize there was a graduate site in my immediate area! I can just join that site, can’t I?
Not necessarily. Our courses are given only one time at each of our community-based graduate sites. If that site has just begun, you might be able to join. Otherwise, it might be difficult to join, unless you are willing to travel to other sites to make up the courses you have missed. Discussing the options with our Academic Specialist would be well-advised, in this case. Contact Us.

If I am not a student at a particular site, can I still take any of the courses as “stand-alone” classes?
Yes, you can. The only exception may be the action research seminars, which are based on a particular sequence.

How do I register for classes at one of the field-based graduate education sites?
We always do our registration during the first few minutes of the first class for each of our courses since it provides greater ease for our students. If you know that you will be participating in one of our courses, please let us know so that we can include you in any communications that are sent out from our faculty and/or office. Contact Us.

Is Southern New Hampshire University accredited?
SNHU is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, which means that your degree carries with it international recognition.

What is the typical class schedule?
During the school year, we use a condensed weekend format for our on location classes. What this means is that you attend class after school on Thursday, Friday and then all-day Saturday. Online classes will sometimes take the place of in-person classes on Thursday or Friday evenings, dependent upon the preferences of each group. There are then several weeks until the next set of weekend classes for you to read, reflect and apply course expectations within your classroom and program. For one three-credit class, there are a total of three condensed weekend formats.

How long does it take to complete this field-based graduate education program?
We allow each site to determine the length of their program. Most cohort sites decide to take three and a half years to complete their graduate program, although it can be done in less time, if participants want.

Is a graduate thesis required?
No, we do not require a graduate thesis. However, an action research practicum (five credits) is required. Building off of an educator's strengths, this process is one that is designed for purposeful and proactive change within the student's sphere of influence.

How many transfer credits are allowed in the program?
There are six (6) credits of transfer allowed for M.Ed students, three (3) allowed for students pursuing a Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (CAGS). They must be pre-approved before the transfer can occur to ensure they parallel the coursework for which they are being transferred. As well, these courses have to have been taken within the last five years, two years for technology courses.

Does the program have any specializations?
Not specifically. However, each professional educator is able to guide their interests and specializations within their program because of our constructivist philosophy and our individualized framework. As well, many educators in our program focus their action research work on their specialization interests.

What are my options for paying for my graduate course work?
Local schools provide professional development monies for many of our students/educators. Upon receipt of a purchase order, our program will then bill the district. Non-degree grants for Vermont educators are available through the Vermont Student Assistance Corporation (VSAC) and Financial Aid is also available through Southern New Hampshire University since this program is considered half-time.

I’m in the program and it’s been great for me! How do I access a transcript?
We are able to send final grade reports from our Vermont offices for any student of the Field-based Graduate Education Program and you can contact us for those requests. The link to request an official transcript is located on the transcript request page.